Re: Recording badgers

Subject: Re: Recording badgers
From: "Andrew Carter" standlynch
Date: Tue Feb 6, 2007 12:31 am ((PST))
Hi James -
I've not actually tried recording badgers but did spend a large amount
of time watching them 20 years ago.
Best time will prob be in May - after the cubs first emerge in April.
The cubs are far less discrete than the adults. They will stay around
the sett to begin with playing with themselves and trying to encourage
the adults to join in. As time goes on they will move off with the
adults and so the amount to record will diminish. Also with the long
days the emergence time becomes less predictable - though up in Scotland
I'm sure you will get good daylight views. I live near Salisbury way in
the south!.
The period around Sept can also be good, with reduced daylength they
become more predictable. I've also observed them mating somewhere around
Nov/Dec I think - cant find my notebook at present but I remember it was
cold. Its earlier than you would think as theres a delayed implantation
of the fertilized egg. This produced some superb whinniing sounds - wish
I'd been in to sound recording then!
At all times silence is essential, and try not to walk over pathways.
Hope this helps.
Andrew