Re: Noiselevel with 150 ohm termination

Subject: Re: Noiselevel with 150 ohm termination
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:03 am ((PST))
Hi Adam and thanks for the below comments!

I would say that amps in general perform their best noise values at
max gain, say 60 db.
For the naturesound recordist, I would say that the ideal preamp has
two gain settings, say 30 and 60 db, and  a low value (600 Ohms??)
potentiometer  at the output. Normally you could run such an amp at
max gain, having the 30 db gain for parabol recordings.
The PIPamp prototype, powered by a 9V battery, gives 2V RMS at the
output, which should be enough for every "normal" nature situation.

I happen to have a HQ volt / db calibrated meter with 0db at 0,775 V.
This means that I can measure dBu directly, but you are right - it is
very difficult to get rid of induced hum and noise from all cables
and lamps around. I only feel safe when I have had a close look at
the scope before reading the meter.
Measuring battery powered amps is not that difficult, but measuring
microphone self noise down to 12-13 dbA is almost impossible. With
the mains electricity switched off, working with a flash light, the
slightest wind outside the building (which you cannot hear) ruins the value=
.
Do you know of any simple trick to make a "silence chamber"??

Klas.

Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
Phone & fax int + 295 310 01