Re: FS: various mics

Subject: Re: FS: various mics
From: "ortfmic" ortfmic
Date: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:17 am ((PST))
--- In   wrote:

flawn1951,

When we speak of time-coherence and minimizing differences in arrival
times, I assume that the highest frequencies are the most prone to
time differences even for coincident setups.

Tom

> Yes, time-coherent refers to capsules being close to the same point
in space to minimize differences in arrival times. This is an
advantage of properly configured Mid-Side (MS) mikes, and of X-Y pairs
as well (two cardioids at the same point in space pointed 90 degrees
apart).  These are also both called "coincident" miking setups.

> Several of the new flash recorders with built-in mikes refer to
theirs as "X-Y", but in reality their capsules are several centimeters
apart, so technically they are "near-coincident", not X-Y. There will
be some comb filtering due to arrival time differences when using
those mikes.
> Check out the new AOL.  Most comprehensive set of free safety and
across the web, free AOL Mail and more.