Re: equipment for elephant sound recording

Subject: Re: equipment for elephant sound recording
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon Jan 8, 2007 10:11 am ((PST))
Posted by: "Steve Pelikan"

> I believe there's been recent work on the use of infrasound (very low
> frequency sound) by elephants (African, at least). Is part of the goal
> to detect such signals?
>
> If so, you'll probably need special equipment and would get the best
> advice on it from those doing the infrasound research. If people on this=

> group can't help, you might try a bioacoustics mailing list.

Elephants use infrasound down to about 15 Hz if I remember right. The
Sennheiser MKH-110 mics were used for a lot of the early work. Their
official frequency range is 1 - 20000 Hz.

The mod SASS MKH-110 I have would be a good mic for infrasound work. At
such low frequency directionality is not too important. In spite of some
of the propaganda, stereo is still useful down there.

A look in more recent research will turn up some other mics that have
been used that might be a lot easier to find than the MKH-110.

Many of the current recorders spec down low enough. There are also
headphones commonly available which have low enough specs, though our
ears are not going to do well that low.