Re: equipment for elephant sound recording

Subject: Re: equipment for elephant sound recording
From: "Danny Meltzer" dannymeltzer
Date: Mon Jan 8, 2007 12:21 am ((PST))
Get equipment that won't be destroyed when an elephant steps on it!;)
Metal all the way!

Seriously though, recorder and headphones will have little to do with
the elephant itself.  Search the archives for info about
those...obviously we don't know your budget.

Microphone-wise...you will probably want something
directional...unless you are able to get right up next to the
elephant.  Are these wild elephants?

If they are perhaps a Telinga is in order...although you may loseout
on some low frequencies there.  I used a Shure VP88 to record African
elephants with reasonable results.  It might be worth trying to setup
a contact mic on the ground if you are in an isolated
environment...you might be able to get some subsonic communication.
Of course this will require a mic that picks up very low frequencies
and a recorder that can record them.  Others can chime in as to the
feasibility of that endevour.

Danny

--- In  "Pratap Singh"