Re: Hi-MD Dynamic Range (was My MZ-RH1 mic in: -122.8 dBu noise floo

Subject: Re: Hi-MD Dynamic Range (was My MZ-RH1 mic in: -122.8 dBu noise floo
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Wed Jan 3, 2007 12:16 pm ((PST))
Sorry Bruce. I thought you and Curt had NH800's.

~60dB dynamic seems high for "Hi Sens" to me as well. Since the
discovery on this list that the "Low Sens" position/circuit greatly
reduces over-mod (as with electret mics and close voice micing etc.),
I've used the Low Sens setting when circumstances suggest a record
gain of  "13" or lower in the Hi Sens setting. This has greatly
reduced fears of dynamic range limitations when I must capture loud
sounds. I've not really done a serious test, but "Low Sens" also
seems to help with the WL183 "bottoming out" on loud, low Hz signals.
This could be compatible with Curt's theory that the mic pre circuit
is "faulty" -- but--- possibly only when the recorder is in the less
appropriate, "Hi Sens" setting.  The abilities of the AK5356VN-L
continue to impress me.

Someone sent me this link with NH700's going for $160 in the US:
http://www.shewasinc.com/Sony%20MZ-N910.html  Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts