Re: Comparison Tests - My own Attempts

Subject: Re: Comparison Tests - My own Attempts
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:11 pm ((PST))
--- In  "tk7859" <> wrote:

> Hopefully I will do a more rigourous test early tomorrow which will
> include the NT4/Art Phantom II.

Hello All

This morning's tests confirmed yeaterday's findings except that the
NT4, powered by the Art Pantom II with 48V, was 3dB more sensitive.  I
checked the voltage of the 9V battery previously used to power the NT4
and this was 9.2V so the problem was not the battery.  Maybe the NT4
just performs better with phantom powering.

However, this afternoon's big smile making event was hearing the
results of using the 2nd triplet in my home made 24" parabolic
reflector.  This installation is shown in the last photograph in the
"Parabolic Reflector" album at:

m("btinternet.com/my_photos","//uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/g0sbw");">http:

It is also shown in

m("btinternet.com/2ndtripleinparabolic.JPG","//uk.geocities.com/g0sbw");">http:

although this link is unreliable.

The amazing thing (to me who has no experience of parabolic
reflectors) is that I was recording sounds I could not hear unaided.
I aimed the reflector at the saltmarsh 1 kilometre away and I was
recording  birds on the marsh.  At one point a ginger tomcat climbed
up the trunk of a willow tree to examine an empty blue tit nesting
box.  I recorded the sound of his claws grasping the bark.  The willow
was 50 ft away from the parabolic reflector but in line with the
saltmarsh being aimed at.  The other eye opener was the way the sounds
 away from the direct line being pointed at were attenuated.

All very interesting.  It seems that the combination of the sensitive
omni triplets and the P. reflector will give some interesting
recordings - can't wait to get them actually on the saltmarsh.

There was not much of a stereo effect but the sound was pleasing.  The
keen eyed amongst you will note that I have mounted the right and left
capsule sets on the wrong sides, or maybe I haven't.

I will trawl the 90 minute recording to pick out the more interesting
moments.

Best wishes for Christmas

Tom Robinson