Re: Comparison Tests - My own Attempts

Subject: Re: Comparison Tests - My own Attempts
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:46 am ((PST))
--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> Hi Tom--
> Do you have a theory for the difference between the 35-0190's and
> 35-0192's as they're just supposed to have a different mount?  I hope
> the 35-0190's retain the same quality. We just received 300! Rob D.

Hello Rob

I don't think you need to worry.  Although my 35-0190s were bought
during the first half of 2006 before Rapid ran out of stock, and the
35-0192s were new stock bought on 17th November this year, I am sure
the difference in sound was entirely due to mounts/enclosure.

This morning, between 8am and 9am, I did some more quick tests.  This
time I mounted the 35-0192s alongside the 35-0190s on the same barrier
platform

m("btinternet.com/2ndtestbarrier.jpg","//uk.geocities.com/g0sbw");">http:

To change mics I just rotated the barrier through 180 degrees;
thinking that any interaction between capsules will be the same in
both cases.

This time I used three clocks; a small quiet travel clock on the left,
 the original wind up clockwork in the centre, and a battery powered
clock on the right.  The following photo does NOT show the spacing

m("btinternet.com/testclocks.jpg","//uk.geocities.com/g0sbw");">http:

I picked out 15 seconds from each recording and joined them.  The
result, in MP3 form, is here (15 secs of 0190 followed by 15 secs of 0192)

m("btinternet.com/2ndtest30seccompilationmp3.mp3","//uk.geocities.com/g0sbw");">http:

To my ears the only difference is a bit nore traffic rumble with the
35-0192.  I am sufficiently satisfied to continue using the 35-0192s
in future experiments.

I was worried that the soft velcro fastening I am now using on the
35-0192s would not be as effective as the firmer wood screw method of
fastening used on the 0190s.  Certainly it moves the capsules a little
further away from the boundary so it might affect the stereo image?

Again simple tests like this suggest that my camera bag capsule holder
is not too good.

Hopefully I will do a more rigourous test early tomorrow which will
include the NT4/Art Phantom II.  BTW the Phantom II seems to be very
fussy regarding the voltage of its power supply.  After testing
different sources I have settled on using two 3000mAhr 7.2V NiMH
battery packs, coupled in series, for portable use.

Cheers

Tom Robinson