Re: Comparison Test Zoom H4, Hi-MD & SD722

Subject: Re: Comparison Test Zoom H4, Hi-MD & SD722
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:52 pm ((PST))
At 8:41 PM -0500 12/17/06, Walter Knapp wrote:
>Posted by: "Klas Strandberg"
>
>>  Where did the tic-tac tests go?
>>
>>  I think a silent room, same ambience and the ticking clock is the
>>  most accurate way to show self noise.
>
>I prefer a natural, very quiet swamp at midnight. Or some other equally
>quiet natural place. I can more easily detect self noise against a
>natural background than a man made sound.
>
>Walt

I agree that there may be adverse affects of noise on performance
with some gear at the lowest frequencies that are masked in my urban,
attic early am test setting. This may have been the case with the H4
even, though problems above 1K are obviously evident and significant.
I'd prefer a location with very low, very consistent ambient
background levels both for noise and other performance tests. Any
person who lives in such a place is, indeed, very lucky. Even those
who live in remote areas might find a concrete or other high mass
surround preferable to open air testing for noise if low low Hz
penetration from air and other traffic from miles away is a concern.
Its also a huge chore to track down/abate the Hi Hz junk in city and
in some rural settings. I cannot seem to eliminate local pollution in
this part of the spectrum either. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts