Re: Comparison Test Zoom H4, Hi-MD & SD722

Subject: Re: Comparison Test Zoom H4, Hi-MD & SD722
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:12 am ((PST))
Walt wrote:

> Posted by: "Curt Olson"
>
>> Points well taken, Walt. I'm sure nearly all 1138 readers of this
>> e-mail group would pretty much agree. However, I find these tests to
>> be useful (not definitive, of course -- nobody claims that they are
>> -- but tremendously informative nonetheless). Rob probably gets "out
>> there" more than most of us. The fact that many of these comparison
>> tests are done at 3AM in his urban attic tells me that he's a
>> practical guy with a passion for the subject. And the fact that he
>> shares them here in this forum is a gift that I think we should
>> appreciate and not disparage.
>
> I've been in Rob's attic, I have some idea how well it might represent
> a natural sound environment. Rob does good getting as much as he does
> in his tests. The problem is that many are interpreting very small
> variations in the sound in those tests as meaningful, when you cannot
> rule out the acoustics of that attic as being controlling. To say
> nothing of things like the sound sources used.
>
> That's why I say we should not loose focus on the natural acoustics of
> our outdoor sites for testing equipment. Otherwise we might as well
> just use the indoor reviews of music recordists.
>
> It's not disparaging, it's a caution about how far removed from real
> nature recording these tests are. I listen to at least some of Rob's
> tests, limited by being on a modem connection. Taken as a very crude
> beginning in evaluating equipment they are fine.

And that's exactly how I, and I'm sure many others, have always
regarded these tests.

> I don't take them as definitive. But it's clear many do.

This is probably the crux of my disagreement with you, Walt. I
understand your concern that we be discerning, but it's not *CLEAR* to
me that *MANY* are taking these tests as definitive. I often feel that
you underestimate the intelligence and discernment of this group. Yes,
I realize there might be an occasional over-eager newcomer who could
get the wrong idea. But from the posts I read here, I'm not seeing an
epidemic of that.

> At the moment I can't even follow my own advice. It will be many
> months of recovery before I'm cleared for being out in the field
> without restrictions. I'm not even supposed to lift the weight of my
> recording kit. So maybe there is just a tiny bit of envy of all you
> folks who have no such limitations

I can't be the only one who noticed your recent absence and was
concerned about how things are with you. Would you be willing to update
us in a little more detail?

> and a bit of wondering why you are not out there.

Again, I think you sometimes tend to underestimate this group. What
makes you so certain folks here are *NOT* "out there?" And I suspect
many of those who aren't might be feeling very pinned down with the
usual obligations of life: school, work, family, church, community.

Robert Frost captured the tension perfectly at the end of his wonderful
poem, "Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening" -- tension I often feel...

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.