Re: [gear] Fostex FR2-LE

Subject: Re: [gear] Fostex FR2-LE
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Fri Dec 1, 2006 7:19 pm ((PST))
"Rory" wrote:
> ...I gather that Fostex has a new recorder coming
> out which may leapfrog the Tascam HD-P2.

I think you're referring to the Fostex FR-2LE,
a more compact version of the FR-2.  It's due to
be shipped in January, although its release has
been delayed twice already.

The new FR-2LE will certainly be less expensive than
the Tascam, but the decline in the dollar's value
in the last few days may push the price higher
than the $500 that B&H Photo-Video was asking
for pre-orders last Fall.

The FR-2LE looks to be a competitor to the Marantz
PMD660 rather than the Tascam HD-P2.  Both the
FR-2LE and PMD660 lack time code input,
digital input and digital output.

The FR2-LE can record at 24/96, while the PMD660 is
limited to 24/48.  It's likely that the FR-2LE's
preamp will be quieter than the PMD660's as well.

There's a discussion of the FR-2LE by this group at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/message/23553

--oryoki