Re: [gear] Tascam HD-P2 field recorder

Subject: Re: [gear] Tascam HD-P2 field recorder
From: "Rory" rory_ca2
Date: Fri Dec 1, 2006 6:32 pm ((PST))
--- In  "oryoki2000" <>
wrote:

> I came across a detailed review of the Tascam HD-P2 Compactflash
field
> recorder ($1000) in DV.com, an online magazine for digital video
> enthusiasts.  The reviewer's conclusion is that the Tascam HD-P2 is
> "the best low-price field recorder we've tested."

As far as I know, that has been accepted within the film community
since late last December when the HD-P2 came onto the market. At the
time, it was more attractive financially than the Fostex, and Sound
Devices had not even announced the 702.

Between December and May, I tried all three recorders. If one is on a
budget, the Tascam is very attractive. The only reason that I didn't
buy it is that I had a feeling that Sound Devices was on the verge of
offering a two track recorder. Indeed I asked them, and got a
response that was so neutral that I was pretty sure that it was about
to happen. In March or so, when they did, I had a chance to try the
702, and it took about two seconds to make a decision. This is a
company that actually communicates with its customers, and that does
real upgrades to its products.

Meanwhile, I gather that Fostex has a new recorder coming out, which
may leapfrog the Tascam.