Re: [gear] Fostex FR2-LE

Subject: Re: [gear] Fostex FR2-LE
From: "Marc Myers" buffymarmoset
Date: Sat Dec 2, 2006 6:02 am ((PST))
All of the devices being talked about are very, very good. Sound Devices is=
 certainly the Rolls-Royce but at least in part one purchases a Rolls to be=
 seen in it. A little true for Sound Devices also. It's the required callin=
g-card for field recording in film, music and video. Also true that you mak=
e the money back with one good job. ROI is important in business.

For those not in that situation, the question becomes more complicated. Do =
I need capacity and features that I'm unlikely to ever use just in case I s=
hould need it? That's a more personal decision.

I add the caveat that it certainly seems, and this is clearly opinion, high=
-end unified professional recorder are at the edge of extinction. Media is =
becoming so cheap and A/D-D/A circuits so good that the only real distincti=
on will be in the pre-amps. At that point your recorder is your IPOD clone =
or a $10 option one adds to a preamp.

Spend money on microphones. I'm having a Sennheiser 416 refurbished as I wr=
ite and that was purchased in the early eighties, Worked great with 3/4" vi=
deo tape, cassette tapes, DAT, mini-disk, and now a laptop. Will still work=
 great in 10 years no matter what is receiving the signal.