Re: The New World - movie

Subject: Re: The New World - movie
From: "Danny Meltzer" dannymeltzer
Date: Fri Oct 6, 2006 10:13 am (PDT)
Yes you are right Walt,

...that they recreated what they 'imagine' the Carolina Parakeet
sounded like although Cornell Lab was involved with that sound and
recommended a living species that is very similar to use as a baseline
starting point.  The fact that Cornell was consulted at all for
curating the natural sounds is remarkable is as the fact [that I read]
that they went to special effort to have the animals heard reflect
time/date and location for every single scene.  They had a recordist
go to Jamestown several times for a year during editing to capture
different sounds.

I am sure they got it wrong somewhere...and Walt I think you are spot
on in saying that there's probably too much rather than too little [to
be exactly realistic]...buch such is the nature of Malick's style, and
of movies in general, that they tend to use hyperbole as a way of
expressing themselves.

In the end, I feel the effort they made is very credible and worth any
transgressions committed.

I am glad I am on the right track thinking that a cacauphony of Green
Frogs at 3pm in a Jamestown field is not so accurate.  It means my
very naive ears are beginning to gain some knowledge.

Danny

--- In  Walter Knapp <> wrote:

> Posted by: "Danny Meltzer"
>
> > There are frogs calls during the day...but it just seemed that the
> > amount they were using seemed incongruous...but I could be wrong.
>
> If you noticed more than one or two calls it was probably too much. And
> was probably the wrong calls for day calls.
>
> > Yes it's a gorgeous soundtrack...nature soundswise.  They worked with
> > the Cornell Lab to recreate a lost soundscape...a chorus of animals
> > from the 17th century that of course does not exist anymore.  They
> > even recreated the call of the extinct Carolina Parakeet for the
movie.

> It should be said more like they created a sound that they think is how
> the Carolina Parakeet sounded. I don't think there are any
recordings of
> them.
>
> Similar to the sounds that are created for dinosaur calls.
>
> What they created is a imaginary soundscape. How much, if any that it
> resembles the actual soundscape is unknown. It's probably much noisier
> than the original for starters.
>
> Walt

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,