Re: The New World - movie

Subject: Re: The New World - movie
From: "M, J, & V Phinney" badgreenbird
Date: Fri Oct 6, 2006 8:26 am (PDT)
Here in the (relatively) far north (56 deg) we have few frog species. The
two main ones, wood frog and boreal chorus frog do call a lot during the
day, during peak breeding season. Sometimes equal to the night time
sessions, but as Walt said, this is more the exception than the rule.
Activity is correlated with temperature...if it's too hot during the day,
they'll wait until night. If it's too cold during the night, they wait until
day...quite a balancing act. Often enough, I've heard the chorus going
full-tilt at 10 in the morning...they had to wait until the ice melted off
the surface of the breeding ponds!

Of course this probably has little relevance for areas well to the south,
within the former range of Carolina Paroquets.

The discussion has piqued my interest in the movie, however - maybe I'll
rent it sometime and have a listen. I always appreciate when a proper
soundtrack is used for a film...it happens so rarely!

Mark Phinney

on 10/6/06 7:22 AM, Walter Knapp at  wrote:

Posted by: "Kent Sparling"

> experts, please set me straight on the whole frog thing

Frogs do call some during the day. But it's not at all like at night and
frequently is different calls.

Some, like the Southern Cricket Frog will just use their regular
breeding call, but far less often. Others may have a special call, a
number of the treefrogs have what's called a "rain call" that they give
during the day. Obviously more often when it's damp, thus the name. The
green frogs have a location or territorial call that they will give from
time to time during the day.

During the height of the breeding season there will be some breeding
calling before dark. But always far less intense than at night.

The most common frogcall used by movies is the breeding call of the
Pacific Chorus Frog (aka Pacific Treefrog). These generally don't call
much during the day, though they do have a rain call. To believe movie
makers all frogs go ribbit, which is the call (sort of) of this frog.
And the Pacific Chorus Frog has worldwide distribution (not).

I've not seen the movie, so don't know which way they got it wrong.