Re: DIY Parabolic Dishes.

Subject: Re: DIY Parabolic Dishes.
From: "Klas Strandberg" klasstrandberg
Date: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:42 am (PDT)
It seems as this never got out into cyberspace.
I'll send it again.

Klas.

I agree with the "testing and learning" method!

Here is what it says in the Telinga manual:

"Indoors it is very difficult to judge about the directivity of the
parabola. There are so many echoes around. To learn what the Telinga can
do, do this:

Take a small transistor radio. Go outside. Set the radio at the FM-band,
between stations, so that noise will come out of the loudspeaker. Put it 20=

- 30 yards away. Start your recording equipment, and make sure that your
headphones are set correctly, left and right, on your head.
Now - use your Telinga as a "radar", and you will soon experience the very=

narrow directivity. The noise from the radio will change character in your=

headphones as soon as you point only a foot aside from the loudspeaker.
It is a matter of taste, if one prefers to have the switch in mono or
stereo position during such "searching".
When doing this practice, also learn how the sound is affected when you
move the microphone in and out of the parabola.

After some practice, you will be able to locate a sound without using your=

eyes. This is important, as experienced Telinga users often close their
eyes while recording, concentrating on the sound they hear in the
headphones. By doing that, they often find the "nicest" sound - for example=

of a bird - a bit above, or aside from it. Every environment is acoustical=

- even a tree is a studio! - and the best results are not always the ones
achieved with the bird exactly in focus."

Klas.

At 07:06 2006-09-30, you wrote:
><snip>
> >...I haven't yet solved the
> > wave propagation problem in a paraboloid!
>
>Me neither Steve, but considering how way-over my head some topics in
>this forum can get, I'm hoping there is someone out there who has
>thought it through and is willing to shine some light.
>
>John Hartog
>

>"Microphones are not ears,
>Loudspeakers are not birds,
>A listening room is not nature."