Re: canada.com Story. need better recordings agreed. join me.

Subject: Re: canada.com Story. need better recordings agreed. join me.
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:08 pm (PDT)
Posted by: "Richard Lyttle"

> < From the samples I've listened to they could use some help in making
> decent recordings. >Walt
>
> agreed, my thoughts too. they need you folks, really! I communicated with=
 Dr. Geoff Hill of Auburn yesterday and he does need better equipment this =
winter. I'm sure he'd welcome any of your time and efforts. I'll be lucky t=
o get on with them as a volunteer, Gaia be with me.

> I personally don't feel the birds were really extirpated from the U.S, Mr=
. Neville., just overlooked in some really tucked away places per chance. t=
hey don't seem that cooperative, maybe they've learned something.

> I'm going around there all late fall and winter if I don't get on trhe Au=
burn team. I'm meeting some friends to search there. It would be a privileg=
e to have any of you sit ( with backrests ) in my comfy SOAR 1 inflatable c=
anoe for spotting trips down there if you dared join the wacky one. The hea=
d of the US F & W IBW recovery team may direct me to other locales in FLA a=
nd other states with their own coordinators.

> i'm gunnin for 'em ( politely-but we have to shoot them ) with my GL-1 ca=
mcorder and DSM headworn microphones, and lots of bugspray, bengay.

Good luck, it's a big area. Make sure you don't get lost and know how to
handle such a swamp. It can be quite dangerous if you don't know.

Though it's outside it's known range you might want to be familiar with
the Carpenter Frog Call. Some of their recordings of the double rap sure
remind me of that call. Don't know if that's just poor sound quality on
their recordings. There is a short sample on my website here:
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/docs/carpenter.frog.html

I'm never one to say never, I've personally been responsible for
expanding frog known ranges in Georgia. I'm used to finding things where
they are not supposed to be. I'm also with Martyn, someone who knows how
to take a decent photo or do a decent recording is needed now. Someone
willing to personally spend lots of time in the area. I don't think
remotes are going to get it done. It may be personally thrilling to see
or hear one, but to convince the world will take quality documentation.

> rip lyttle
> takoma park, md
> i would be happy to provide my cell number, GPS loc and FLA camping spot =
if any of you wish to join me there this late november thru march 07.

I'd love to go down there and do some more looking and listening. But my
primary interest would be finding Pine Barrens Treefrogs on the east
side of the river swamp system. One more link in tracing them toward
Georgia. I'll admit when I've been in the area in the past I was pretty
well ignoring birds.

Unfortunately I'll be otherwise occupied, Cancer surgery and recovering
from the same is on my schedule for the time period you will be down
there.  Otherwise I would try to come down for at least a little while.