Re: interview with Steven Feld

Subject: Re: interview with Steven Feld
From: "Danny Meltzer" dannymeltzer
Date: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:49 pm (PDT)
Chris now that I think about it 'Should' IS a big word.  I didn't mean
it like that.  Sorry.

I do appreciate what you're driving at.  I know this kind of thing has
been and will be debated in these circles until the end of all
time...but anyway...

I think perhaps, let's say since we are able to use all kinds of
complicated brain functions to control our experience with sound when
we are in a space...that becomes one of the motivations for cleaning
out man made sounds from nature recordings.  You know...when you're in
a rainforest and there is a distant airplane, your brain has a way of
pushing that airplane into the background by way of using the sounds,
smells and sights close to you to make the experience unfold the way
you would like it to unfold [to an extent].

A recording, being a reduction of a three dimensional experience...and
being divorced from it's companion sensory information loses some of
it's effectiveness in this regard...I think that post production
[removing airplanes, etc] only strives to restore some sort of
balance.  To reenact the [recordist's] brain's perspective control
that occurs naturally in a three dimensional experience.

Does that make any sense?  I know these are not original
thoughts...only my personal arrangement of them.

While I will steer well clear of making any 'truthfullness'
aspirations in recording...I recognize that the power of a nature
recording DOES spring from it's ability to recall, remind, build upon
ACTUAL sensory experiences.  Nature recordings are then related to
truth in that way, as a construction built upon a 'truthful' foundation.

Okay I will step down off my soap box now.  Just my thoughts for
today.  It's always good to get them straight every once in a while.

Thanks for listening.

Danny

--- In  pollyserial <>