Re: interactive field guide w/ audio

Subject: Re: interactive field guide w/ audio
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:08 pm (PDT)
> [off topic]

Not really, Id of what you record is somewhat important.

>     Posted by: "oryoki2000"

> I recently learned about a new approach to field guides called
> Handheld Birds.  Developed by National Geographic, the guide uses a
> Palm PDA and software to create a easily transportable interactive
> field guide with audio features.

I've done this sort of thing with GA frogs for years. My Palm has
photos, maps, audio clips, a database of where each species has been
found by me and others. Not as organized as Handheld Birds, but the same
idea. I often use it to show and play audio of a species when talking to
folks.

My Epson P2000 that I use for field storage of photos also has up to
date detailed range maps of all US Herps, useful on longer trips. I've
thought about adding more.

> You can make field notes using the PDA's
> notepad, but entering text on a PDA is laborious.

I have the Tungsten C model, which has a keyboard. Can't touch type at
my usual fast speed, but it's a lot better than writing with a stylus.

> For additional information see -- http://www.handheldbirds.com/

Unfortunately there is one fly in the ointment. Just a SD card with the
software loaded will cost you $250. Twice that if you include a Tungsten
E. A whole bunch more than a printed field guide. Way above the usual
price for Palm software.