Re: [CORRECTION] Pearl MSH-10 and Rode Stereo VIdeo Mic

Subject: Re: [CORRECTION] Pearl MSH-10 and Rode Stereo VIdeo Mic
From: "cfmspencer" cfmspencer
Date: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:19 pm (PDT)
--- In  "cfmspencer"
<> wrote:

two important corrections which I noticed while
double checking what I had posted.

> Dave,
> I've been on a similar quest - to find a single point
> M-S (in my case) stereo microphone with reasonably
> low self noise, specifically, less than 20db.
>
> the only one I've found that seems remotely affordable
> (and perhaps not even) is a Pearl MSH-20 available
> for sale in Amsterdam.

this mic available for 935 Euro is the MSH-10, NOT the MSH-20.
the 20 is quite a bit more money.

the 10 is discrete M-S, while the 20 is decoded M-S into L-R.

> this is the URL for the mic.
> http://www.pearl.se/estart.htm
>
> this is the site selling this mic for 935 Euro (<$1200 US).
> http://www.sfb.net/acatalog/Pearl_Microphones.html
>

> I have not emailed this firm to confirm this
> price is still available, as most of the other
> Pearl mics seem substantially more.  this might
> be a typo, as I understand there was a recent price
> increase, or perhaps they are selling off old stock
> are the previous price.
>
> the noise for this mic is 16 dbA for mid, and 17 dbA for the side.
> I've not seen any other single point M-S stereo mic with
> self noise this low for less than $2000 US.
>
> FWIW, I emailed Pearl, and they claim these mics work
> great in difficult weather condifions as well.
>

> also, the just announced Rode Stereo Video Mic might
> be of interest, it's self noise is 20 dBA (or just below) I think,
> it's XY, not M-S, and is unbalanced (not XLR) and is about $250
US.
> it's intended use if for Video cameras, but Rode have a good
> reputation for putting out good value mics, according to my
sources,
> and a few folks on this list. I plan to buy one of these and check
> it out as soon as it is shipping to the US.  warning, it's rather
> ungainly in size (runs on 9-volt and includes integrated
> shockmount), and some would say ugly.

I just saw the specification posted for the first time
on the Rode Stereo Video Mic, the claimed self noise is only 15 dbA,
much less than the early reports.
tihs ugly duckling could turn out to be a swan, if true,
although again, it's an unbalanced mini output (not XLR).

http://www.rodemic.com/downloads/MicSpecs/SVM.pdf