Re: beginner Advice

Subject: Re: beginner Advice
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:41 am (PDT)
At 9:48 AM +0000 8/25/06, Lance wrote:
>--- In  "oryoki2000" <> wrote:
>>
>>  "Lance" wrote:
>>  >...advice on the CHEAPEST minidisc recorder
>>  >I can use it with my PowerMac?
>>oryoki
>
>Thank you very much for your advice!  It seems all so complicated.
>However, that said, I
>do NOT MIND waiting for real-time transfers.
>
>That said.  Could I get a regular MD Sony RH10 and just wait for it
>to transfer real time if I
>can get a serial to USB connection?

Hi-
Welcome to the list.

Its a standard USB ->USB connection and this cable would be used for
digital transfers only. All of the Hi-MD's decks have a
line/headphone output that can be used for analog transfers. However,
I would think one would want to seriously consider being able to do
digital transfers as you'll likely have the recorder for years and
they are easier, faster, more reliable and bit for bit perfect.  As
Oryoki outlined, there are specific, mac-compatible models if you
want to make digital transfers.  Here a list of the current Hi-MD
models with features:
http://www.minidisc.org/part_Hi-MD_Sony.html
+ scroll down.

The Hi-MD discussion forum has a wealth of information including
stand-alone software installs, Hi-MD specific recording tips and
answers to questions about which first deck to buy and why.
http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showforum=3D34
Good Luck,
Rob D.

--