Introduction

Subject: Introduction
From: "ortfmic" ortfmic
Date: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:56 pm (PDT)
Hello Nature Recordists . . . This is my new-member introduction. My
name is Tom, I live in north Georgia and audio is my hobby; although,
I do use my audio skills on the job (technical writer) to create and
edit narration for education. My field recording interests include
birds and streams and loud things like railroads (especially steam
locomotives), air shows, and thunderstorms. I have two rigs: (1) A
Marantz PMD 430 with an Audio Technica PRO 24 stereo mic that I carry
in a fanny pack to capture audio on-the-go. (2) A Sound Devices 702
(purchased from Dan Dugan) with two mics including a Rode NTG-2
shotgun to record birds and streams when I hike up to the local lake
and an Audio Technica AT822 for stereo recordings (railroads, air
shows, etc.). As my budget permits, I will upgrade my stereo mic. The
current editing software I have includes Sound Forge and Audacity.
I've found recordists to be a generous people (Dan Dugan, for example)
as I recently befriended two sound recordists in Atlanta who welcome
my questions and wide-eyed enthusiasm; so, I look forward to reading
the threads and contributing to the Nature Recordists group. Thank you
for reading. - Tom

"Microphones are not ears,
Loudspeakers are not birds,
A listening room is not nature."