Re: MS Example for evs

Subject: Re: MS Example for evs
From: "Tim Nielsen" supernielsen
Date: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:17 am (PDT)
The setup of those recordings is actually an MK6 set to figure 8
(which is pretty much identical to an MK8) and an MK41 as the center.

Since my new MKH rig also has the hypcardiod as the center (MKH50)
and I have two 722's, I can now do a test with the Senn and Schoeps
MS rig, recording the same material at the same time. I'll try and do
that in the next day or so.

The Schoeps definitely aren't as sensitive as the MKH, and not as
quiet. I do think MS can sometimes lack some depth. And many of those
recordings were made many years ago, now my tendency would be
probably to bring up some more gain when mastering them.

It will be interesting to see how they compare, the Senn and Schoeps.
Maybe I'll do a blind test. I'll record a sample on each system, and
post them as A and B and see people's reactions. I'll be curious myself.

The Senn's so far sound good, but to my ears, I like the Schoeps
sound slightly better. The Sennheisers sound slightly 'clinical' and
very accurate, but someone lacking in character. The Schoeps, for all
their shortcomings, have a 'sound' to them. This is all very minor
mind you, not saying the Senns sound bad by any stretch. Just that
Schoeps definitely has it's own sound, which for some things, I
really like.

evs, if you really want to record quiet stuff, then favor the
Sennheisers over the Schoeps, they're absolutely quieter.

I'm thinking that you really want to record 'air'. Even the Schoeps
have noticable noise when recording room tone or quiet air.

Tim