Re: MS Example for evs

Subject: Re: MS Example for evs
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:58 am (PDT)
At 12:43 PM +0200 8/22/06, evs wrote:
>hi tim, thanks a lot,
>the examples are sounding great, good stereo view! allthough i want=A0
>to record even more quiet things, the recordings convince me some
>more to go MS.

I enjoyed your recordings, Tim. Thanks for
putting the assortment together. It really helps
to be able to spot play recordings from different
locations to detect characteristics that could be
common to the mic/system. I ran back quickly
through the string to determine the the capsules
in your M-S rig, I presume MK8 and?

Of course, no mics/system is perfect; all
introduce unique character. If the noise and
distortion are low, the next aspect I
enjoy/employ is tonal "accuracy," or
applicability towards one's final goals. In the
ways I listen to and use ambient or reverberant
field recordings, tonal balance has a significant
impact on the "reach" or spatiality. Other
recordists value directionality or stereo
positioning more than depth or reach and this can
have an impact on their mic choices/rigs.

I would characterize the material as generally
"quiet" based on the saturations. Both schoep
mics introduce some coloration that can be heard
across all the settings as a subtle, constant
harmonic tone.  I studied a section about 3:55 in
with the breeze, leaf rattles and distant
cardinal because it was most "pink noise" like
and the leaves test hi end "brittleness" quite
well.  The mild exaggeration with this schoeps
pair is quite different from that I typically
hear with my mkh 30/40's and generally less
pronounced-- especially between 300 and 70Hz. The
schoeps do seem seem to produce more emphasis in
multiple, narrow peaks around 1000K and 2000K.
Both mics, but especially the mid, have some
pretty strong peaks or graininess around 8K and
Message: 10K.
Subject: The senns have a tiny bit little less of
this in my experience. I didn't really dive into
using extreme EQ. The M-S imaging in the
recordings/mixes are more center emphasized than
some mixers might create from the material.
Equalizing the two mics separately is pretty
standard for the M-S recordings I make and the
schoeps seem to benefit from this too. I was
hoping to post the EQ curves but I ran into a
curious asymmetry in my patch using the +matrix
plug I need to track down first.

EVS-- did you compare the MS image to Curt's Omni Rigs?  Rob D.