Re: Suggstions for recording in Morocco

Subject: Re: Suggstions for recording in Morocco
From: "Kevin Wooding" kevinwood=
ing
Date: Tue Aug 1, 2006 12:07 pm (PDT)

Long before I ever heard of Nature recording, about 18 years ago, I spent a
week in Morocco. As a 'precursor' of my germinating interest in natural sou=
nd,
one night of this time was spent out in the open on the edge of the Sahara
desert down the oasis valley called the 'Draa' if I remember right.

In the morning my companion and I went for a walk across the barren landsca=
pe
and I remember being fascinated by the silence and the fact that we could w=
alk
over 50 yards apart and still talk normally with no problem in hearing each
other.

It was while doing this and getting further and further apart that suddenly
the eeriest sounds came out of what was apparently an empty landscape -
hyenas. Being a total rookie in that environment, the experience had my hai=
standing on end. I always wished I had a recording of that!

I since learned that hyenas in that part of Africa are not considered
dangerous, but they had me doing a quick about face and brisk walk the othe=
way!

Cheers
Kevin