Oops, I meant Shure WL-183

Subject: Oops, I meant Shure WL-183
From: "David K=FCrland" hdkurland
Date: Tue Aug 1, 2006 5:37 am (PDT)
--- In  David K=FCrland <
wrote:
Greetings Friends,

A brief intro: I have been making sound recordings for the past 3
years or so using a Marantz 670 with 2 mics; a Shure VP88, and a Rode
NT4. Most of the recordings have been soundscape recordings in rural
settings (as well as some in the city) and acoustic instruments
(classical, jazz, and folk) in small venues; my ex-wife is a cello
and mandolin player.

At the end of August I leave for a year in Morocco; teaching English
and creating multimedia teaching materials (sound recordings and
images). I would appreciate suggestions for a setup to record street
musicians and market sounds as well as relatively quiet natural
sounds in the Moroccan countryside.

My current recording gear consists of a Sound Devices 702 with the 2
mics already mentioned. I thought of head worn mics like those
offered by Sonic Studios, Core Sound, or Sound Professionals, and
also have considered making some up with Shure W-183 capsules. It was
also suggested to me that a pair of AT3032s mounted on a T-bar (with
some kind of baffle) might be useful since these mics are so quiet
(good for ambient) and could also be easily used to record
instruments in pairs or separately up close.

My budget has been exceeded for months (!) so I can't seriously
consider the Sonic Studios offerings (or anything over ~$350-$400) at
this time.

If this is too far off topic (I do want to record ambient sound in
the date palm groves and the cranes nesting in Marrakesh) please
advise me and accept my apologies.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated=85

-David