Re: Figure 8 mics - Pearl ELM-B

Subject: Re: Figure 8 mics - Pearl ELM-B
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:21 pm (PDT)
Posted by: "cfmspencer"

> while researching Kavi Alexander's transition from
> all-tube/analog custom-built recording gear to digital,
> I learned that he uses ELM-Bs in his preferred Blumlein
> configuration. although presumably he doesn't record
> in Costa Rica in the 'green' season, so who knows how these
> might work out of doors.

This is a important point, this is naturerecordists, we record outdoors
under all kinds of weather conditions. The outdoors is also a very
significantly different acoustic space than any indoor space. All kinds
of mics from indoors might work, if you have them try them. But it's
pretty risky buying one of these indoor mics for use as a nature
recording mic. It may be totally useless. Or may work, but not really
work well. The odds of a randomly picked indoor mic being a star
outdoors are against you. Many, many mics have been tried by nature
recordists, but few made the grade. Just about any mic you come up with
some nature recordist has probably already tried.

It was that I did not want to take chances that I went with the MKH.
They have a very long track record in nature recording and work well
outdoors. I was simply avoiding risk. MKH are expensive, but pretty much
a sure thing for nature recording.

It's not just mics, indoor recording practices may or may not help in
nature recording. Be somewhat careful in applying your indoor studio
experience to nature recording. You may be severely limiting yourself.