Recording Hummingbirds

Subject: Recording Hummingbirds
From: "c5nest" c5nest
Date: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:32 pm (PDT)
I am fairly new to nature recording and could use some advice. I am
trying to record the sounds of the hummingbird battles around my
feeders. In the morning and at dusk, the traffic is quite heavy and
there are often four-way hummingbird collisions.

I am recording to minidisc (Sony MZ-RH1) and have a Sennheiser ME67+K6
mic.

Perhaps a shotgun mic is not appropriate for this project: although the
high-pitched chittering records clearly, the low-pitched wing-buzz
sounds seem to get lost in the background noise.

Should I be using a less directional mic mounted near the feeders?

Thanks,

Felicia Lovelett