Re: Sony HiMD questions

Subject: Re: Sony HiMD questions
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:00 pm (PDT)
At 12:09 AM +0000 7/14/06, maxfrick78 wrote:
>--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:
>>
>>  At 12:30 PM +0000 7/11/06, maxfrick78 wrote:
>>  >Hey everybody,
>>  >I have an old Sony MD recorder (MZ-R55) that I use as my
>>  >always-in-your-pocket-
>>  >recorder. The noise floor of the mic preamp is terrible and useless
>>  >for natural ambiences
>>  >but okay for louder sources like busy train stations.
>>  >Now I want to get one of the Sony HiMD 'pro-line' recorders, like
>>  >the MZ-M100. I have
>>  >checked some information in this group and on the web, but a few
>>  >questions remain:
>>
>>  Are you sure the MZ-R55 is creating the noise with your set-up? Many,
>>  including myself, used to believe that MD mic pres were the culprit,
>>  but tests have proven they aren't that noisy. Mics that will run on
>>  PIP that are noisy are very common. If you are curious about MD vs
>>  Hi-MD mic pre noise performance, here's a comparison for some sense:
>  > http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-art-tech-gallery/mediafiles/SD722_Rolls=
%
>3eHiMD_D7_MD_TRV.mov
>
>Yes, I have recorded not only with the OKMII's but also with an NT4,
>I compared it to
>recording directly into an MBox/ ProTools which gave me a much lower
>noisefloor than the
>MD recordings. So my conclusion was that the the noise must be
>happening in the
>preamp.

Should be all mic self noise with the OKMII's.  You might perhaps
hear a tiny bit of MD pre noise with the NT-4 with its 18 dBA self
noise and 12mV/Pa sensitivity.  Could your NT-4's XLR5->mini cable
have a pad in it?
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/Rode_NT-4_Cable_Mod/NT-4_CableMod-in=
dex.htm
That could account for the NT-4 having less noise on your M-Box
inputs too. Rob D.

--
Rob Danielson
Peck School of the Arts