More thunder recordings

Subject: More thunder recordings
From: "Richard Humphries" mdsfx
Date: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:49 am (PDT)
If any of you are interested, I have some thunder recordings that I
made a couple years ago posted here:

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=3D2523

That's the longest of the series. There are a few single thunder claps
that I posted on that site too.

I recorded this using the AT822 and a minidisc recorder since my other
rig had been rented out at the time (Deva & MKHs). I had to stop the
recording and adjust the gain often as the storm approached and
receded, that's why I don't have any really long stretches of
the storm, but I was pleased with how this recording turned out.

I recently recorded another cracking storm using an SD702 and a Sanken
CSS5, and while the dynamic range was greater, it didn't have the same
kick as the minidisc recordings.

So while the AT822 gets a lot of bad press in this group, I'd argue
that having a less than ideal mic and recorder on hand is better than
having a fantastic setup somewhere else.

-Richard