Re: Frogs and mysterious other

Subject: Re: Frogs and mysterious other
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:30 am (PDT)
At 10:31 AM +0000 7/19/06, Julius Thyssen wrote:

>I don't know if foxes 'hunt' in groups, but it could
>have been foxes, according to the people living there.
>They're seen foxes sometimes, but not more than 1 at a time.

The growl suggests to me they were not hunting together.
Two raccoons possibly? I've walked on moss beds that were nearly silent.

>just leave the recording set alone in the dark and hear
>what happens. It's very exciting ;-)

I very much enjoy this too. Its mammal "prime time" plus average
background levels are dramatically lower. Can you record
(uncompressed) all night with the iRiver? Do you have shots of your
rig?

I rarely use the "normalize" function. I tame the transient peaks
with volume automation and wave form editing and then increase the
gain at the same time I apply EQ to obtain a fully saturated 24 bit
submaster. This seems to help preserve more "body" or overall tonal
balance and more spatial clues where normalizing (especially with low
saturated recordings) tends to make the transients harsher while
suppressing the lower mid range. How else could we be sensing that
one of the animals is coming from "behind" were it not for cues from
reflections?  To get a twig click or sniff recorded at 2am a remote
woodland to be heard and play "naturally" in a living room with
35-40dB ambient background sound is, er,.. well,.. fun!   Rob D.