Re: Frogs and mysterious other..

Subject: Re: Frogs and mysterious other..
From: "Julius Thyssen" lulligvoorje
Date: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:31 am (PDT)
Rob Danielson wrote:

> Enjoying your recording. Could there be two mammals, one coming up
> from behind and another, to the left, that growls? I believe I can
> even hear a vocalization in the rear(?) (~12:11) a few seconds
> before the growl. Seem unlikely the animal who growls
> could get over the right mic in 20 seconds without making
> footstep sounds.

It was mostly swampy grass right around where the mics were,
so barely hearing any footsteps isn't so strange (I guess).
I hear that vocalization too. Seems at the backside, yes.

> Could it be the animal who comes up from the rear
> trips on the cable? He/she may have been preoccupied
> with the other mammal. I might hear a couple of
> very faint leaf "crackles" in the ~4 seconds
> before the mic is jarred loose, but I'm not hearing
> sniffing which I'd expect before a tug.
> You said the recorder had been moved, did the cable
> run to the ground?

I had the mics mounted (with strong clips) on a tree stump,
and the cables went to the root of the tree, where the
filter-thingy with battery was, and then about 50 cm.
to the back (seen from the mics) I had the recorder
(in this case not a large thing, just the iRiver H140)
on the ground, yes.
What was strange here was that the battery thing had not
moved from it's place, yet the recorder looked like it
might have been 'sniffed' on and moved away quite a bit.
This battery is and amp/filter thing, in between
the recorder and mics.

Indeed sounds like something tripped on the cable, or
maybe even got stuck a little, because right after,
it sounds like it's still being moved.
The whole 12 minutes part I cut out has crackles here
and there. Before that it was just the frogs and
hardly any other sound.

I don't know if foxes 'hunt' in groups, but it could
have been foxes, according to the people living there.
They're seen foxes sometimes, but not more than 1 at a time.

Anyway, thanks for the comments thus far.
I'm gonna do this more often at places like that,
just leave the recording set alone in the dark and hear
what happens. It's very exciting ;-)

I made a small mistake with the part after the mic
got pulled down, where I maximized the peaks of
both channels the same way as the parts before that.
Of course, in reality, the volume of the right channel
was lower than this.. I will replace it, but haven't
had the time for that yet.

> > http://audio.jthz.com/rec/frrrogs_june2006.ogg (50 MB !)

Julius