Echoing Thunder

Subject: Echoing Thunder
From: "Syd Curtis"
Date: Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:06 am (PDT)
I haven't attempted to follow the discussion on thunder distortion because
my old-age hearing loss makes it difficult (impossible?) for me to know whe=
distortion is real and when just in my own head.  So apologies if something
like this has already been mentioned.

In years gone by when younger and fitter, I twice experienced a
thunder-storm while at the bush-walkers hut at the northern end of Lake St
Clair in Tasmania (Australia).  There are vertical cliffs on both sides of
the valley and the sound echoes back and forth.  Lasted about forty seconds
for a single thunder clap - to my ears.  And I surmise that lower frequency
sound that I couldn't hear continued still longer.  Most impressive!

These days one might reasonably carry a mini-recorder of some sort, but the
hut is on a five day hike and I didn't feel like humping an analogue
recorder as well as hike-tent and food.

Has anyone on Nature-recordists experienced and recorded that sort of
situation?

Syd (Brisbane, Australia)