Re: Sony software strikes again

Subject: Re: Sony software strikes again
From: "jpbeale"
Date: Wed May 31, 2006 4:11 pm (PDT)
--- In  Chuck B <> wrote:
>  if you lose the Table of Contents on *any* disk you're FUBAR'd.

Not entirely. The battery died in one of my MD recorders after about 2
hours of recording, so the TOC wasn't updated or finalized. But I was
saved! There is a procedure online (I think someone on this list told
me about it) to trick the Portadisc into loading the TOC from a
fully-recorded disc, yanking the power, swapping MDs with the power
off (some disassembly required), turning it on again whereupon a valid
TOC is written to the damaged disc, which can then be played as usual
(the chapters won't be there, but that hardly matters). I performed
this procedure and it worked perfectly to recover my entire recording.

If Sony used some standard or at least published disc format for
recording audio on their HiMDs, you could use any of various disc
recovery software to attempt a fix, having mounting the volume via
USB. For example, there are many such programs to retrieve photos from
camera memory cards which have been deleted or damaged.