dawn song of Western Tanager

Subject: dawn song of Western Tanager
From: ""
Date: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:48 pm (PDT)
Dear Members,

I just spent the last 5 days up in Lake Tahoe (California/Nevada Sierra)  a=
nd
did quite a bit of recording. I have had a vacation home there for over 20 =

years and feel pretty comfortable with my knowledge of various bird
vocalizations. However, this trip I was awakened at 0440 with a vocalizatio=
n I  have not
heard before (or at least not recorded in my brain). It sounded like a
Western Tanager with a combination of calls and song that went on for at le=
ast  1/2
an hour. I made a 30 minute recording on the 3rd day and verified the bird =

(too dark to see it singing) by playing a short cut to two male Western
tanagers  on a walk later in the day. They reacted immediately and one actu=
ally
almost  crashed into me as it swooped down from a tree.

I am not sure that attachments are allowed by the List server. Anyhow, I am=

attaching an MP3 Wave file of a very short part of the 30 minute  recording=
.
Is anyone familiar with the dawn song (?) of the Western Tanager? I  was
certainly surprised.

My best,

john

John V. Moore  Nature Recordings