Re: boundary mic'ing techniques

Subject: Re: boundary mic'ing techniques
From: "Jerry Berrier"
Date: Fri May 5, 2006 2:58am(PDT)
I currently have Shure EZB/O boundary mics on the front and rear outside
walls of my house for listening from inside to the wildlife in my front and
back yards.  I get almost no wind noise, unless it's really blowing hard,
and the sound quality is good.  I hear the front yard in my right computer
speaker, and the back yard in the left.
However, what I get are two very different sound sources.  Rather than
sounding like stereo, it sounds more like two separate mono sources.

Question:  If I want good stereo separation, how far apart should I place
the mics?  At one point I had them on the same back wall about 20 feet
apart, and I wasn't satisfied with the sound there.  Should I move them
closer together?

Jerry Berrier

http://www.townisp.com/~jerry.berrier