Re: Raven and Broadcast Wave Files

Subject: Re: Raven and Broadcast Wave Files
From: "Tim Gray"
Date: Tue May 23, 2006 8:34am(PDT)
On 5/23/06, Lindsay Cargill <> wrote:
> I am finally about to take the plunge and get a HD-P2. I will want to
> import the audio files directly in to Raven / Raven Lite to analyse
> sonograms. The Tascam saves flies as .bwf (broadcast wave file) which
> I presume are just normal .wav's with extra meta data extensions for
> sync'ing etc ? Will these BWF's open ok in Raven eg. as WAV files or
> am I likely to have problems/get errors ? Cornell site seems to be
> down at the mo so can't contact them to ask. Any experience of Raven
> users most welcome.

I haven't used the HD-P2 or Raven, but BWF's are just WAV files with a
little itty bitty extra piece of data written in them.  Any software
that pretends to read WAV files should have absolutely no problem
reading BWF's (though they won't necessarily be able to read the BWF
metadata).

If a program refuses to read a BWF, just change the extension to WAV
(which is the official extension of Broadcast wave files, not BWF).

If it still chokes, write to the author of the software and tell them
they need to skip over chunks in WAV files that they aren't ready to
parse.  This probably won't be necessary since the WAV file
specification has so many glued-on hacks that I would imagine programs
that read WAV files only look for chunks with specific names and just
skip ones with names they don't recognize.