Re: SD-722 "static?" (was New file uploaded...)

Subject: Re: SD-722 "static?" (was New file uploaded...)
From: "Tim Gray" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:34:51 -0500
On 3/22/06, Dan Dugan <> wrote:
> I've been experiencing similar interference on a variety of systems
> in the past few weeks. I've heard it on my computer's speaker system,
> and I just got it in a recording on my Sharp MD-MS722 down in Joshua
> Tree National Park. I think it's radio interference that's strong
> enough to overwhelm the ordinary suppression measures.
>
> I've recently changed to a Cingular cell phone, and I wonder if the
> interference is my phone checking in with its network. Once I heard
> it on my computer speakers just before my cell phone rang. In Joshua
> Tree I had my phone in my pocket.

If it is the same sound as the one in the file, it is definitely a
cell phone.  My cingular phone makes the same noises.  I've never
heard it while recording since I always turn my phone off (for this
very reason).  However, I have heard it next to computer speakers and
headphones.

The best solution is just to turn the phone off.  I'm not sure if this
particular sound is unique to GSM phones (which Cingular is).  I'm
sure all cell phones will introduce some kind of interference though.

Tim