RE: Re: New file uploaded to naturerecordists

Subject: RE: Re: New file uploaded to naturerecordists
From: "Julian Baldwin" <>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:45:19 -0000
Fred,
Having had a chance to listen to your posted file I am 100% certain that
your problem lies with your cellphone. The sound in the middle of your
recording is absolutely typical of a digital phone 'reporting in' to its
base, which it does automatically every 10 minutes or so. It is perhaps
worth remembering that when you are at a considerable distance from the bas=
station your phone will turn up its power (in order to be heard) and
consequently the chances of it causing interference to audio equipment are
increased.
My only reservation about my diagnosis is that there were several 'clicks'
at the beginning of your recording which seemed to occur separately from th=
busier buzzing latter on. I did not recognise this but it could well be tha=
it is a feature of the cellphone system that you use in N. America and whic=
is different from the GSM system used in the rest of the world, which I am
more familiar with.
This problem of interference from cellphones into audio systems is very
common and the only way to avoid it completely is to keep the phone at a
good distance from the equipment. Just how far is something you will need t=
experiment with.

Julian
Bristol, England