Questions for audio gurus

Subject: Questions for audio gurus
From: Dan Seven <>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:06:41 -0600
Hello Audio gurus:

A quick question or 2 ..If a recorder is capable of a frequency range of 20
to 20kHz such as a new Tascam HD P2 and it can utilize192 kHz sampling
frequency, can you actually hear the upper end of the audible range better?
i can hear to 18.5 Khz or so and then it gets "iffy"

If a good pair of speakers and a CD player is what everyone uses, then why
would CD quality 16 bit 44.1 playback need to be exceeded for consumer
consumption. Do we all have these playback resources and do we not all have
ears that hear the same limited range?

The Portadisc records 10 to 20 kHz and the lower frequency is easier to hea=
for people, as in Ruffed Grouse drumming and many many other sounds. Is thi=
more useful in actual practice or do most mics simply not achieve those low
frequencies..my subwoofer does..

The search for meaning here is to achieve an understanding as to the
practical recording qualities and capabilities necessary to match consumer
playback resources with an audio result that we can actually HEAR, and not
imagine MUST be there.

I am sure that most of you can contribute a better viewpoint than I have,
and much appreciated.

Thanks beforehand, Dan7