Re: Re: iRiver iHP120, better than iPod as field recorder

Subject: Re: Re: iRiver iHP120, better than iPod as field recorder
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 16:19:55 -0800
Hi Julius,

> > Do you have any experience with the "sample dropping" problem

> honestly, had no idea what that was all about. Never had
> it any samples drop on me once. Maybe that is because I
> defragmented the drive regularly? (Not even fanatic though.)

Interesting! Never heard about it being correlated with defrag, it
seemed to be more systemic; but everything I know is reading other
people's accounts. :)

> and as far as I can tell did not miss one sample. I always
> missing samples is something I'm quite certain I would notice.

Well that's good to know!

I have to admit I've been thinking of using that new stereo 16/44
accessory for the iPod excuse for getting an 80 or 100 GB video iPod
later this year (I assume there will be one :) )...

...but in the meantime I'll definitely mention this to people who
write me wondering about gear!

> a long test WAV with the unit and encode an mp3
> out of it for you to listen to.. (using .rockbox)

No need, if you're happy that's all that matters of course.

An easy way to test btw would be to just feed a few sample tracks of
pure sine waves at relatively low frequency (say, 200 Hz in the right
channel only, and 1000 Hz in the left channel only), record it, then
look at the waveform -- any "glitches" should be immediately apparent
(and I would think audible)...

 best regards,
  aaron

--