Re: iRiver iHP120, better than iPod as field recorder

Subject: Re: iRiver iHP120, better than iPod as field recorder
From: "Julius Thyssen" <>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 00:11:52 -0000
"oryoki2000" <> wrote:
> If you're really interested in using a small hard disc-based audio
> player as a field recorder, check out the iRiver iHP-120 and the
> Rockbox software.

Yes, I have the iHP-140 for almost two years now and
I'm amazed by its sturdiness. Not one part ever failed
me, while it has fallen on the floor several times.

> --1300mAh battery provides only 2.5 hours of recording time

Where do you have this from? I can assure you, mine
records for a lot longer on a fully charged battery.
Used only as a player, it easily goes for 14 hours,
and with what you have left you can listen to FM radio
for at least another 2 to 3 hours (because of its low power use).

> Recording via the line level input works OK with most mics if the
> source has a high sound pressure level (like a waterfall or a rock
> concert).  Nature recordists will probably need an external preamp
> of some sort to raise the signal level.

I own and use the AT899c Subminiature Lavalier Microphones
( http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/bf474b840970cf0d/ )
and use this filter/amplifier unit with them
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=3DSP-SPSB-=
6

Together they work very well, also for the iRiver input.
One can make pretty high quality recordings that way.
Here's an example;
http://audio.jthz.com/rec/passing_train.mp3 (2.7 MB)

Sorry for the wind, I positioned the lavaliers pretty high here,
and hey, this is The Netherlands, we don't know what silence is
anymore, as Jaap told us before. ;-)

This is, by the way, my first post in this group.
Should have been a member for years, just hadn't found it yet.

Regards,
--
Julius