batteries for the 722 - my experience

Subject: batteries for the 722 - my experience
From: Gianni Pavan <>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:37:02 +0100
Hi all,
        just to share with you my experience.

I ran my 722 with two batteries' combinations, here the results:

722 with standard SONY NP-F770 battery, rated  7.2V 4400 mAh: I got a
bit more than 4 hours of continuous rec 96/24 to HD with phantom ON,
backlight OFF.

722 as above plus an external battery Polarmate PM148-8000, rated
14-18V 8000 mAh: after 11 hours (backlight ON) the external battery
was empty and the recorder switched to its battery to work for
additional 4:20 hours (backlight OFF). On the whole I totalled 15:20
hours of continuous recording. I kept the external battery attached
to the 722 (it has the same footprint) to possibly benefit of the
heat generated by the recorder (I also got some benefit: it is
pleasure to keep the 722 running under the jacket!).

The Polarmate is a compact Litium Ion external battery for laptops
(but I successfully used it to power a MOTU Traveller as well); it
belongs to a wide family of batteries with different V and mAh
ratings; it is available with both 12V cigarette light adapter and
standard power adapter for recharging. The only one drawback of it is
a strong bip that alerts when the battery is empty!

I also have a SONY NP-F970 rated 6600 mAh and a 12V charger; I could
expect more than 6 hours of recording but did not tested yet.
By the way, Amazon now sells the F970 for 105$ and the F770 for 70$. Not bad.
12V chargers can be easily found on Ebay, but I don't know if the
original SONY charger is better or smarter than cheaper compatible units.

Gianni
Gianni Pavan
Email
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Tel        +39-0382-987874
Fax        +39-02-700-32921