Re: dynamic mic

Subject: Re: dynamic mic
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:02:45 -0500
At 11:43 AM 1/23/2006, you wrote:
>I'm working on a project that will place a recorder, unattended,
>outside for several weeks at a time.  We're trying to control battery
>power requirements, and the topic of using a dynamic mic has come up.
>
>My admittedly limited understanding is that dynamics are not the first
>choice for nature recording because of they are not as sensitive as
>condenser mics, and have a higher noise floor.  However, dynamics are
>durable, highly resistant to humidity, and less expensive.  And they
>don't require battery power.
>
>Can anyone recommend a dynamic mic for nature recording? Or are the
>benefits of condenser mics worth the extra kilograms of battery weight?
>
>--oryoki

Dear Oryoki:

It is true dynamic mics generate their own output power from the movement
of a coil in a magnetic field. I own old models of Electrovoice and Shure
but never use them any more.  They would, I think, serve only with a
pre-amp, which WILL needs some battery power.

But the power required for a very rugged condenser mic is barely
microwatts, and weeks are available from one or two ordinary Lithium "AA"
for a Sennheiser ME66 or ME-67, those directional mics being the only ones
I currently own.

Many list members obtain for a few dollars (less than ten) Panasonic (?)
condenser mic elements, which would require some wind and weather proofing,
but run for days on tiny current supplies. I think if you search the
archives Rich Peet has mentioned these models. Good luck!

--  best regards,  Marty Michener
MIST Software Assoc. Inc.,  P. O. Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049
http://www.enjoybirds.com/