Re: (Tech Talk) The most sensitive small mics

Subject: Re: (Tech Talk) The most sensitive small mics
From: "streakyskies" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:13:07 -0000
Thanks a lot!

To me the "Soundman OKM II classic" is the winner:
http://www.nnyman.com/soundman/ or http://www.soundman.de/

Here are some examples (not mine ofcourse):
http://www.inchadney.com/sounds.html

It is tiny, Extremely sensitive, and relatively affordable. It is not
very quiet it seems, but all mics that are sensitive AND quiet
require phantom power, are large, and often VERY expensive....

Thanks,
Michiel

--- In  Rob Danielson <>
wrote:

> At 3:54 PM +0000 1/19/06, streakyskies wrote:
> >I got member of the Nature recordists mailing list a couple of
months
> >ago becouse of the tech talk, but not everybody is happy with tech
> >talk.. So I find it a good idea to follow the example(s) and
put "tech
> >talk" in front of the subject.
> >
> >As I am fond of recording very quiet sounds, I am looking for a
very
> >sensitive set of (mini) stereo microphones. This way I don't have
> >worry much about the hiss of the recorder (which I don't have
anymore
> >but I'm still doubting between Hi-MD and CF, but that's another
story).

> >The most sensitive I've seen so far is the following (quite large)
> >microphone with a sensitivity of -35 dB. I want to try them out
first
> >(nosie, sound). Problem is that they require phantom power. Also, I
> >asked for a date sheet and it shows totally differend numders.
Link:
> >http://www.skytronic.co.uk/product/product.php?s=3D173.844
>
> These look interesting (size wise), but lack the also
important "self
> noise" rating that would normally give one a clue as to what could
be
> expected.  Based on the range of items they manufacture, I'd gamble
> they're packaging capsules. Contacting tech support to see if they
> know the self noise specification.
>
> >Of course I wonder if there are other, smaller or better mics that
are
> >even more sensitive. And where can I ask this better than here :-)
> >

> Welcome to the endless quest for small, low noise, high sensitivity
> mic. ;-)  I know of no clear winner  to suggest. Here's a link to a
> xls chart I cobbled together:
> http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%
20Preamps/MicSpecCharts/MicNoiseSensv01.xls

> and in htm:
> http://www.uwm.edu/~type/Mic%
20Preamps/MicSpecCharts/MicNoiseSensv01.htm