Re: should we change the name of this groupto geartalk

Subject: Re: should we change the name of this groupto geartalk
From: Tim Gray <>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:38:18 -0500
On 12/5/05, david briggs <> wrote:
> I agree with alot of what has been written . I do think however that there
> are other groups and sources for information about the equipment which is
> general portable sound recording. Equipment used by sound recordists working
> in many areas with equaly demanding specifications.

I would actually have to disagree with this a little bit.  This group
(and Walter Knapp's website) are the real good sources of information
on using equipment like this in such a manner.  While there is some
crossover with concert tapers, audio for film, etc., there is some
good info about equipment in this group that is hard to find
elsewhere.

Obviously, nobody said equipment talk was going to be banned, but just
wanted to point that out.

> I am interested in new technology and hearing first hand reports of its use.
> I think an updatable Wiki may help with storing the information that new
> recordists could search through. Including budget contraints and equipment
> specifications.

Sounds like a great idea!