Re: Audio-Technica 3031

Subject: Re: Audio-Technica 3031
From: "Romilly Hambling" <>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 08:39:48 -0000
Eric, many thanks, that's very useful. (I think tho you tested the
3032s, the omnis, whereas I'm interested in the cardioid 3031s.
Christmas does that.)

However, what you say is puzzling as Audio-technica give the
same spec for self-noise for both mics (16dB), so on the basis
of what you say wouldn't you expect them to state a higher noise
for the cardioid?? I mean they must be aware they can't be the
same, just as you are.

Anyway. I'm going ahead with the 3031s as I want cardioid and
as long as their noise is fairly well below 18 (ie audible) I hope
I'll be happy. If not I'll use them for something mundane or get rid
of them.

Volker, many thanks to you too, very encouraging. Do you notice
any mic noise with the 3031s - eg when you normalise/amplify
files? I record quite a bit at night and just hate equipment noise. I
spent a year with cheap mics and it nearly broke me to bitz!!

Romilly H

--- In  <> wrote:

> Romilly,
>
> I can only give a negative answer to your question.  I have not
yet tested
> the AT3032.  It's on my list, but it's time to be getting Christmas
gifts
> for the children, not for me.
>
> As a reference, cardioid microphones are usually several dB
worse in self
> noise than omni microphones of the same design.  For
instance, the Schoeps
> MK4 cardioid has a self noise of 15 dBA, relative to 11 dBA for
the MK2
> omni.  The Sennheiser MKH20 omni has a self noise of 10
dBA; the MKH30
> cardioid has a self noise of 13 dBA.  So I can't expect that the
AT3032 has