Re: Audio-Technica 3031

Subject: Re: Audio-Technica 3031
From: "Romilly Hambling" <>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 08:11:58 -0000
Huh! Wish the Neumann's were mine. I'll compare the 3031s
with my Telinga, though I'll have to get Klas to remind me what
his mic's self-noise spec is. The TLMs are with their pianist
owner in London, where it's probably too noisy to do such tests.
My test would be very straightforward as I'm a total technical idiot
- just some recording of silence, amplification of the two
samples and then ears and inspection of the traces.
Recording's on to a Portadisc, so I assume pre-amp noise won't
be an issue. Also interested to record higher-pitched birds
(Robin, Wren) as Telinga response up there is a slight issue for
me - sorry Klas, but you know already and I love your mic in every
other respect! Will post comments.

Romilly H

--- In  Rob Danielson
<> wrote:

> I'm not sure if anyone knows yet. There's a chance. Eric
Benjamin
> tested a AT3032 Omni and did so because of the rarity of low
noise,
> low-cost omnis and the flexibility of this polar pattern.  Do let us
> know what you discover.  You could compare their noise
performance
> with your TLM 103's informatively. I noticed that Sound
Professionals
> is featuring the AT3032 now. Given the relative obscurity of the
mic
> every where else, could very well be because of Eric's findings.=20
Rob
> D.
>
> At 12:27 AM +0000 12/5/05, Romilly Hambling wrote:
> >Does anyone know if the A-T 3031s (cardioid) are as good as
> >the omni 3032s? Specs are given as identical, including that
> >16dB self-noise. Would be useful to know as I've found a
nicely