Re: New pictures at Telinga

Subject: Re: New pictures at Telinga
From: "Bruce Shanks" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 10:56:37 +1300
It can be found under
http://www.telinga.com/gallery/picture_gallery4.htm

I am a lurker (for over 2 years now), and avid follower of the discussions,
on this list.

Basically I am a Nature Photographer, with a secondary interest in Sound
scapes and the ambience of the areas in which I photograph, ornithological
subjects mainly..

I am a digital photographer using Pentax *istD's with up to 500mm Sigma
Telelenses, and use minidisc recorders for my sound.Where I am only just a
beginner

I have 2 hat mic setups (thanks to Rich Peet), and an Audio-Technica ATR55
Shotgun Mic with Rycote Windshield and an Audio-Technica Stereo ATR25

I am hoping to add a Telinga Dish this coming next 12 months.

In 2 weeks I am off to the sub-antarctic islands, to photograph Albatrosses,
Penguins, Sea Elephants, Mega-Herbs etc. 17 days at sea . A very
inhospitable climate. I will be trying to keep my audio gear to a minimum ,
as I will have limited time, and will probably be pushed along by a group.

I have a triple Fellowship in Photography, which has been my passion for 50
years.

However willingly, I am being  dragged into the environment of the birds I
photograph, their individual sounds, and the wider soundscapes of the world
in which they live. Fresh and new challenges for an approaching 70 year old
enthusiast.

I am relatively close to one of the major wader habitats in New Zealand the
Miranda Shore Bird Centre, where much research is going into , the migratory
waders that fly across the Pacific from Alaskan Breeding sites to their
summer feeding grounds in New Zealand. Among some 20-30 species Godwits and
Knots are the bulk.

I am still working as a full time Pharmacist, in New Zealand. The home of
the All-Blacks and (briefly) the Americas Cup, and hope to devote more time,
when retired, to recording sound images.

I have enjoyed reading and listening to your book Lang (Elliott) " Music of
the Birds", a copy of which I have, and Bernie (Krause) your "Into a Wild
Sanctuary"

Recently in New Zealand I had the pleasure and privilege of sharing 2 days
in the field with Heather Angel ( the noted British Nature Photographer )

Bruce Shanks
New Zealand