Re: Tell me more about AT 3032s

Subject: Re: Tell me more about AT 3032s
From: Mike Feldman <>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 13:36:17 -0600
Bruce wrote:

> ... Has anyone taken the things apart to see if the cartridges
> themselves can be used without the rest of the mic? That is the only way I
> use my Sennheiser ME66 elements since I make my own PZM mics.

There's two seams at the capsule end of the mic housing,
but they're more than "hand tight" if they unscrew, or they're
left-hand threads!  I don't want to risk damaging one just
to get the capsule cover off.  There are 3 set screws at
the connector end, so I imagine I could peek at the electronics,
but I'm not that interested at the moment.

As for PZMing them, their grills are the slotted type and extend
around the sides of the capsule for a fraction of an inch, so
it's possible to butt them up against a flat surfrace.
I may try this just to see what happens.  And instead of getting
a SASS body, my long-planned project is to drill out a bowling
ball and mount the mics with the capsules flush to the surface
on near-opposite sides.

-- Mike